The snow finally stuck! I love snow and although it feels kind of early I am so excited about out first real snow. So it did snow a couple of times throughout the past month but it never really stuck here in town. This weekend we had some crazy weather. It was so windy, rainy and snowy on Saturday evening. A big branch actually broke off into our driveway. Sunday we decided to take a drive up Logan canyon to enjoy the leaves, the snow and try to hike (we weren’t sure what the trail conditions would be like). The trail we wanted to do is pretty steep so we decided against it but did explore some little trails. It is so beautiful right! I truly love that transition from fall to winter.
I hope you had a fun weekend and got to enjoy some fall weather!
Although winter is not quite over yet, it is close and I wanted to do one last real ‘cold-weather’ post. This outfit also feels great for the transition into spring with these pink heels. They are the perfect height and a great color for the spring season. Because I have been working a lot but am still in a college setting amping up my wardrobe has been a big part of keeping myself focused and in the ‘work mindset’. I embody my version of business casual everyday and I really love how it is making me feel. Here is one of those outfits:
Today I am rounding up my favorite items under $50. Most of what I included has been on my own wishlist for several weeks. I think affordable fashion is definitely a priority for most people, myself included, so I want to do some sort of series in the future that focuses on looking great on a budget.
1. Velvet Bow: This is just the perfect fall accessory. It would be great for the holiday season and can easily carry into winter. I have mentioned it before in my post on Fall Trends but I couldn’t help but add it to this post as well since I have been eyeing it for so long.
2. Tie Booties: I am not sure where I original saw these posted but I found them again while looking at that statement bootie trend. I bought several pairs of shoes from Sole Society this summer and I like their styles as well as the quality for the price.
3. Ruffle Sweater: There have been at least three J. Crew sweaters that I have been looking at recently. I am so impressed with some of their styles and prices this season. This sweater is great because it is on trend for fairly cheap and the color choices are perfect (they go with anything!).
4. Plaid Blazer: This one I am seriously thinking about purchasing. The plaid blazer is such a classic piece, especially for fall. I have been looking for one that is good quality but not too expensive. This one seems great but I can’t be sure of the quality yet.
5. Leather Belt: A leather belt is a staple wardrobe item. Especially a brown leather belt. I love the equestrian embellishments on this buckle, its just such a classic touch that could really pull an outfit together.
6. Grey Sweater: This sweater caught my eye because it is one that won’t really go out of style. In a neutral I would wear something like this for so many years to come (very worth the price).
7. Burgundy Bag: Burgundy is very in right now and it is a great color for both the fall and winter seasons. I found this bag when I was looking specifically for pieces in that color. I didn’t get it but I keep coming back to it since it looks like such a great bag (in both color and style).
8. Slide Loafers: Loafers are an essential shoe to have. The are comfortable, work appropriate and very classy. Slides are so easy to just slip on, immediately taking an outfit to the next level. Nicer ones can be pricier but these seem like a great pair, for relatively cheap.
9. Watch: I am on the search for a good watch that will look great with my outfits. I have always been the type to wear super simple and durable watches but lately I have been feeling the need to step up my game. I think I am going to ask for one for Christmas however I have been looking for some cheaper ones and this one caught my eye.
10. Plaid Skirt: Plaid in general is definitely a very fall/winter pattern. Even though the styles have changed quite a bit, plaid skirts are classic items and definitely are worth it. This one is not too expensive and I like the simplicity of the pattern.
As always feel free to share any thoughts, items or questions. I love the feedback and I love engaging readers!
Those final summer days are really starting to sink in. There is still a few great beach weeks left and I have been enjoying those days in this incredibly comfortable gingham romper. I mentioned that I ordered it in a previous post I did on gingham as a trend and it has really lived up. It is really the most comfortable romper I own. It is so thin which is perfect for the summer weather and sandy beach days. It works so well as either a beach cover up or a great outfit! All of the following pictures were taken at either Horseback Beach in Massachusetts or Barrington Beach in Rhode Island.
New England is truly a beautiful place. I love it all and have thoroughly enjoyed surfing the waves, walking the shores and inhaling the salty air. Stripes are undoubtably my favorite thing to wear during the summer. During our trip to Newport I stopped at the Kiel James Patrick flagship store on Bowen’s Warf. The shop was absolutely beautiful and gave me so much inspiration. I tried on this pink and white striped ‘In Edgartown’ dress and fell in love with it! It is so comfortable and falls perfectly. It is the greatest summer dress, perfect for the beach, clam bakes and walking the town.
I found this boatneck top at J. Crew earlier this summer and it is the best! It is so comfortable and perfect for days at the beach. I wore it to dinner at the Bayside the other night because it got a little chilly but it is a great weight for wearing during the day as well. Also this Tuckernuck bow hat is so adorable and perfect for laying on the beach for hours.
Everything is full of sand at this point so I have given up trying to get it off. That sandy feel is definitely a defining feature of New England summers and I have come to appreciate it. My goals for this vacation have included eating lots of seafood, taking a multitude of pictures, cohogging and hanging out with family and friends. So far I have accomplished all of them and can’t wait to find some more adventures. My dad and I went out in the canoe on the Wesport River yesterday and did some fishing. It was so calming and beautiful!
Last week we drove to the coast for a day to grab our favorite milkshakes at Hoffman’s and walk the boardwalk in Spring Lake for Aiden’s birthday. We got down just in time to enjoy the ocean and eat sandwiches at Tom Bailey’s Market (seriously an amazing deli). The rain started just as a were leaving, making our timing impeccable because it didn’t just rain, it was a torrential downpour. Spring Lake is such a cute little town with some huge beautiful houses. I love just walking the streets and looking at the architecture and gorgeous gardens.
Spring Lake is a great alternative to the popular Ocean City on the New Jersey coast. There are great shops, rental houses and a beautiful beach. I have only ever eaten at Tom Bailey’s but I have heard great things about the pizza place and other restaurants in the town. Hoffman’s milkshakes are amazing but it does get so crowded. Try to go earlier, like take a break from the beach, because it is insane and very difficult to park starting around 3:00pm.
I seem to be drawn to blue and white right now. Almost all of my outfits have been some variant of blue with white. It is definitely a great combination for beach towns though! This dress is pretty old but so comfortable and great for almost any activity.
This month has probably been one of the most exciting of 2017 so far. With so much time hiking, paddle boarding and going to festivals/concerts back home in Boulder summer has definitely been off to a great start. I just got back from Santa Fe, New Mexico and it is now one of my favorite cities. Here are my ten favorite looks from the month of June:
Picnicking at Blouse , Pants J. Crew, Scarf older similar (gingham is so in right now which is amazing, J. Crew, H&M and many others have great dresses, shirts and skirts), Bag Everly Oak, Sunglasses Anthropologie